|On Wednesday night, I canned 7 pints of bread and butter pickles. Thorny Guy should be happy. This was the first time I have canned since I was a little girl, but even then mom did most of the work.|
Bread and Butter Pickles
6 pounds cucumbers, scrubbed and sliced 1/8 inch
1 1/2 cups peeled and sliced onions
2 cloves garlic
1/3 cup salt
4 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
3 cups distilled white vinegar
1) In large bowl, combine cucumbers, onions, and garlic. Add the salt and mix. Cover with ice cubes and let stand for 3 hours.
2) Rinse well, drain the mixture, and remove garlic.
3) Combine the rest of ingredients and heat to boiling. Add drained cucumber mixture and heat for 5 minutes.
4) Pour into sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch of head space. Cap and seal.
5) Process for 10 min in a boiling water-bath canner.