Friday, October 10, 2008

Book Review

I finished reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. The story focused on a families attempt to eating local food for one year. They admitted they could not give up such things as coffee, who could?, but tried to eat seasonly.
This is the story of a year in which we made every attempt to feed ourselves animals and vegetables whose provenance we really knew . . . and of how our family was changed by our first year of deliberately eating food produced from the same place where we worked, went to school, loved our neighbors, drank the water, and breathed the air."
It was a good read, a interesting story mixed in with facts and trivia. It really makes you think about where your food comes from, and how much gas did it take to bring those bananas here. While most of us will never go to the extreme that they did, it points things that can be done by everyone. For example, buying from orchards and farmers markets, eating food in season, reading labels, etc. I am glad this book was recommended to me. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That book really changed my perspective on the food I eat. I try to make the farmers market my primary stop for fruits and veggies now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...